For many who think weight-loss surgery may be the only way to be healthy and live longer, the fear of how life might be after the procedure keeps them from taking life-saving measures. Be informed so that you can make educated decisions about your health. These facts can help you on the way to knowing what’s best for you and give you a glimpse into what one can usually expect after surgery.
Your recovery will depend on which procedure you choose (gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, lap-band, and duodenal switch surgery). For example:
- Average Hospital Stay: Ranges from outpatient (return home same-day) to 2-3 days
- Average Time Until Back to Work: Ranges from 3 days to 2 weeks
- Average Time to Full Recovery: Ranges from 3 days to 6 weeks
- Pain: Ranges from mild discomfort to manageable with pain medication
- Diet: Ranges from a few limited foods to a strict and slow transition from clear liquids to solid foods
- Back-to-Normal Activity: Ranges from 3 days to 4-6 weeks
Life after weight loss surgery includes (depending on your chosen procedure):
- Full recovery in 1 to 6 weeks
- Excess weight loss between 25% and 90+%
- Many obesity-related health problems cured or improved
- Significant diet and exercise changes
- Good and bad changes in how friends, family, and strangers treat you
- Challenges such as sagging skin, digestion issues, and weight regain
Improvements to your physical health can be as impressive as your rapid weight loss after bariatric surgery. Conditions such as Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, GERD, and other issues related to metabolic syndrome have been shown to get better or completely go away following gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, lap-band, and duodenal switch surgery.
It is important to emphasize making healthy food and lifestyle choices even before weight-loss surgical procedures. Bariatric surgery is a tool. Use it to make changes for a long, healthy, productive, and happy life.
If you live in the Las Vegas area and are considering bariatric surgery, schedule an appointment at VIPSurg. Our team can help find the perfect treatment for you!